You are here: Home » Admissions

Current Students - Register through Self-Service
(if you have not been enrolled in over a year, you will need to apply as a new student).

Halifax Community College (HCC) operates under the open-door admissions policy established in the North Carolina General Statute 115.D. The College welcomes any high school graduate or non-graduate who is 18 years of age or older and who can benefit from the educational instruction programs offered. Academic Pathways are available to allow any tradition, non-traditional, or current high school students the opportunity for enrollment in the College


EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2017 - All students (except for high school students entering the Career and College program) must obtain a NC residency certification number (RCN) prior to submitting a Halifax Community College (HCC) application. HCC is no longer able to validate residency status for students or make changes in residency status. The North Carolina State Legislature has established the REsidency Determination Service (RDS), which will serve as the single authority for determining whether a student qualifies for in-state or out-of-state tuition.

New Students/Transfer Apply Here

Please Watch If You Have Difficulty Getting Started: Step-by-step Admissions application video

Financial Aid should be in place before registering for classes. Career counselling and disability services are available in room 335.

Contact the Admissions Office at 252-536-7225

If you are thinking of becoming a student at HCC, the first step is to be admitted. You may come to the Admissions Department to apply in person or you may apply online. Certain categories of applicants must complete requirements in addition to submitting an online application for admissions.

Applicant Categories

New Student

A new student is an individual who is attending college for the very first time since graduation high school

Returning Student

A returning student is a former HCC student returning to school after an absence of two years or more.

Transfer Student

A transfer student is an individual who has attended another college or university and is seeking a degree, diploma, or certificate at HCC.

College Transfer Student

A current HCC student enrolled in Associate in Art, Science, or Engineering who are looking to transfer to a 4-yr institution

special Student

A special who is currently enrolled at another college and wants to take courses at HCC to transfer back to their home institution or a student who needs to take a few pre-requisite courses to enter a program at another college or university.

international student

An international student is an individual who needs to be issued an 1-20 form to be eligible to student in the United States. Please click here for more information on international students