Board of Trustees Pass 100% Tobacco-Free Campus Policy
100% Tobacco-Free Campus PolicyHalifax Community College is committed to providing its employees and students with a safe and healthful environment. Halifax Community College also recognizes the use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, on campus grounds is detrimental to the health and safety of students, staff, faculty and visitors. Halifax Community College also recognizes that it has the legal authority to prohibit tobacco use pursuant to G.S. 143-599. Therefore, Halifax Community College has set the following 100% tobacco free campus policy, to be implemented on August 1, 2010.
1. Use of tobacco is prohibited by students, staff, faculty or visitors:
- In all campus buildings, facilities or property owned or leased by Halifax Community College and outside areas of the campus where
- Non-smokers cannot avoid exposure to smoke;
- On campus grounds, facilities or vehicles that are the property of the campus;
- At lectures, conferences, meetings and social and cultural events held on school property or school grounds.
- For the purposes of this policy, tobacco is defined as any type of tobacco product including, but not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes,
- Bidis, hookahs, smokeless, spit tobacco, snuff, or e-cigarettes.
2. The sale or free distribution of tobacco products, including merchandise, on campus or at school events is prohibited.
3. Student organizations are prohibited from accepting money or gifts from tobacco companies, including:
- Parties sponsored by tobacco companies and allowing them to distribute free, reduced-price, or fully-priced tobacco products (tshirts, hats, etc.) on campus.
- All tobacco advertising, such as billboards and signs in sports stadiums owned and operated by Halifax Community College.
4. Tobacco advertisements are prohibited in college-run publications and on grounds or facilities, including athletic facilities, owned or operated by Halifax Community College.
5. Halifax Community College will provide free, accessible tobacco treatment on campus.
- These tobacco treatment programs shall be publicized regularly in student and staff publications, posted in all Halifax Community College buildings, through Student Services, and through other appropriate means.
6. Implementation and compliance
- A Halifax Community College committee shall develop a plan for communicating the policy with students, staff, faculty and visitors.
- Halifax Community College ensures that appropriate signage and other physical indicators of our policy are provided.
- Smoking waste management products such as ashtrays shall be removed.
- Students, faculty, staff, vendors, and visitors who violate the policy
shall be issued a verbal reminder of the policy. Repeat offenses will
be handled as indicated below:
- Staff and faculty who repeatedly violate the policy shall be referred to their supervisor and shall be given tobacco cessation materials. In rare instances, repeated violations by staff or faculty can result in further personnel action such as reprimand.
- Students who repeatedly violate the policy will be issued a conduct violation through the college’s Code of Conduct as outlined in the Halifax Community College Catalog/ Student Handbook and shall be given tobacco cessation materials.
- Visitors who repeatedly violate the policy shall be asked to leave campus.
- Repeat Violations by vendors will be considered breach of contract.