Home Admissions Catalog Financial Aid Schedules Distance Learning

Financial Aid

Pictured (from left to right) are Brittany Bolton, Jaquan Terry,Tiera Harris and Tevin Shearin. These Roanoke Valley  high school students want to ensure that their FAFSA applications are complete for college fall enrollment. Tara Keeter (far right) is Halifax Community College’s Financial Aid Director.



How do I apply for Financial Aid?

  • To be considered for any type of federal, state or need-based financial aid, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

  • Apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov each year after January 1 for the upcoming academic year 


What is Halifax Community College's Title IV school code?

  • HCC 's federal school code is 007986

  • This code must be entered in the appropriate place in your FAFSA application in order for HCC’s Financial Aid Office to receive your information

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?   Yes

  • Financial need is determined for each academic year

  • You will need to submit a new FAFSA or renewal FAFSA every year for the upcoming   academic year

Is there a deadline for applying?  Yes


To ensure aid is available prior to classes beginning, priority deadlines have been established 

  • Priority deadlines:

Fall semester, June 1st

Spring semester, October 15th

Summer semester, April 1st  

  • You can still apply after the priority deadlines, but there could be a delay in processing your application

What types of financial aid are available to me?

  • There are four main types of financial aid:  

1. Grants (which do not have to be paid back)

2. Work-study

3. Scholarships and

4. Loans


What is the Student Aid Report (SAR)?

  • The SAR is a copy of the FAFSA information submitted by the student

  •  Be sure to view the information carefully and submit any needed corrections online at www.FAFSA.ed.gov

  • HCC will also receive the information electronically, so the student should retain the SAR

My SAR indicates I was selected for "verification."   What does that mean?

  • The federal government randomly selects approximately 30% of all aid recipients for verification

  • This means the Financial Aid Office must verify the information you submitted on your FAFSA by collecting tax returns and other documents to confirm the accuracy of your information

  •  The college will contact you by letter to inform you of what you will need to provide

  •  You should submit all documents promptly to avoid delays in the application process

What makes me an independent student?

The federal government will consider you an independent student if you meet one of the following guidelines:  

  • You are 24 years of age or older

  •  married

  • enrolled in a graduate program (ex., Master's or doctorate)

  • have legal dependents other than spouse

  • you are an orphan or ward of the court

  • you are a veteran 

  • In other cases, you will have to provide your parents' income information

  • If 18-23 years of age, you may have to provide your parents’ income information

What if my family and/or income situation changes?

  • When changes occur, contact the Financial Aid Office to complete the necessary forms to ensure that your financial aid status is re-evaluated

What are the enrollment requirements to be eligible to receive financial aid?

  • You must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program (either college transfer, associate degree or diploma program)

  • Only a limited number of certificate programs are eligible for financial aid 

  • Special Students are not eligible

  • Students that take a class and not pursue a degree, diploma, or certificate program are "Special Students”

What are the requirements to receive the maximum amount of financial aid you are entitled to receive?

  • You must be considered a full-time student (enrolled in at least12 credit hours ) 

  • You may still be eligible to receive financial aid if you are enrolled less than full time, but your award will be reduced accordingly

How will I receive my financial aid?

  • Upon being awarded, you are eligible to charge your tuition, fees and books against your financial aid

  • Once all charges have been deducted from your award amount and your attendance has been verified, a check for any excess monies will be disbursed to you

Is financial aid available in summer semester?  Yes

  • Federal Pell grant is available year round

  • State aid is not available during summer.

Will I lose my financial aid if I make bad grades? Yes

  • Halifax Community College has a Satisfactory Academic Progress policy which is required by federal law

  • This policy sets forth a qualitative (minimum GPA), quantitative standard (minimum numbers of hours you must complete), and maximum time frame for degree completion.

  Do you provide Scholarships? Yes.

  • The HCC Foundation provides scholarships to qualified applicants

  • The scholarship program consists of two types of awards: Merit based and Needs based

  • Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis applying the following criteria:

            Academic excellence, Achievement, Leadership qualities, Need or other criteria as

            stipulated by donors


Contact the HCC College Foundation Office at (252) 536-7319 for more information.

Deadline Application date for Fall Semester 2010 is May 3