Home Admissions Catalog Financial Aid Schedules Distance Learning

Financial Aid

Veterans Affairs

The Registrar/Director of Veterans Affairs at Halifax Community College serves to help assimilate the veteran into the campus community and its environment.

The office provides a myriad of services all designed to assist the veteran in the pursuit of his/her educational objectives.

Assistance first begins by helping the veteran select a program of study which is suitable to his/her aptitudes, interests, and abilities. Veterans who do not possess a high school diploma must obtain a G.E.D. (General Education Development) before they are eligible to receive veteran's educational benefits.

Once a program has been selected and the veteran has been accepted by the school, the veteran is assisted in completing paper work in order to be certified by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Prior to being certified, official transcripts from high school and all post secondary training attempted must be submitted and evaluated in order that credit for previous training may be granted where appropriate. Veterans cannot receive financial assistance for a course (s) for which they have previously received credit.

Veterans are responsible for obtaining GED scores from defense agencies (DANTES form); a certified copy of DD 214 (Report of Discharge), and any other relevant military paperwork.

After completing the original application and providing supporting documents, the veteran must be certified by this office. This certification must show complete identifying information, file number, curriculum, previous credit allowed, enrollment period, clock/credit hour breakdown, and additional information as needed.

 Veterans who are experiencing academic difficulties in degree/diploma programs are advised to request tutorial assistance, which is provided free of charge. Veterans whose average falls below HCC's standard for satisfactory progress are placed on probation. Veterans who fail to make satisfactory progress are terminated for pay purposes.

This office makes referrals to local and state organizations such as the Employment Security Commission, VA County Service Officer, Vocational Rehabilitation, Department of Social Services, and Health Department when possible to accommodate special needs of our veterans.

Satisfactory Progress Policy for Veterans

The Veterans Administration regulations require that veterans must maintain “satisfactory progress” in order to continue receiving their educational benefits. The following is a detailed description of the school's policy concerning “satisfactory progress”:

  1. All students are required to have a minimum average of 2.0 for graduation.
  2. When a veteran fails to maintain satisfactory progress, the veteran will be placed on academic probation for the following semester of enrollment.
  3. At the end of a consecutive two-semester probationary period, veterans who do not have the required cumulative grade point average, counting all subjects undertaken from the original enrollment, will have their benefits terminated for unsatisfactory progress. Veterans who have their benefits terminated for unsatisfactory progress must raise their average to the minimum required before being recertified for educational benefits.

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits

1.     Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB, also known as Chapter 30) provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty.

2.     Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR - also known as Chapter 1606). The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

3.     Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP also known as Chapter 32). VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. This benefit may be used for degree or certificate programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

4.     Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Programs (DEA also known as Chapter 35). DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

5.     Chapter 34/30 (Old GI Bill) provides assistance for veterans who have been on active duty since before 1/1/77. (See chapter 30 above)

6.     Chapter 31 (VA/VOC Rehab.) provides assistance for Veterans with a minimum 10% service connected disability. See the County Veterans Service Office to apply; then, follow up with HCC's Register/Director of Veterans Affairs.

7.     New education benefit for Activated Reservists -- H.R. 4200 authorizing the creation of a new education benefit was signed into law on October 28, 2004. The new benefit also known as (Chapter 1607) makes certain individuals who were activated after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. The Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and VA are working on an implementation plan for this new benefit and at this time we are unable to provide more than general information about chapter 1607. See HCC's Register/Director of Veterans Affairs for more information.

Veterans Telecourse & Distance Learning Policy

All VA students receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs will meet the following criteria before enrolling in this type of course:

1.     The veteran must first meet with their curriculum department advisor before registration so that proper information and procedures can be discussed.

2.     A telecourse may be conducted through (1) regularly scheduled TV transmission/cable PBS education programming and/or (2) by video cassette of the PBS transmissions. Other distance learning includes online, blended, hybrid, and information highway.

3.     The veteran must have completed any needed remedial/pre-requisite work as determined by the College.

4.     The telecourse must be an integral part of the veteran's current program.

5.     Veterans taking a telecourse may need to buy a workbook not required for a traditional classroom section.

6.     Veterans enrolled in a course will be evaluated by the assigned faculty in accordance with established grading policies. Veterans will be required to maintain satisfactory progress and to maintain regular contact with the instructor.