Information Literacy Program
The Halifax Community College Learning Resource Center Information Literacy Program is designed to teach faculty, staff, and students how to effectively locate, evaluate, and utilize library resources. As part of the library’s mission, we believe library skills are essential to each patron’s ability to live, learn, and lead in a technological and global society.
- Students will be able to identify, locate and evaluate information retrieved from online databases and the Internet.
- Students will be able to locate and retrieve resources using the library’s OPAC CCLINC.
- Students will be able to correctly cite resources using MLA or APA citation styles.
- Students will be familiar with services provided by the library.
Course Based Instruction
These sessions are tailored to the specific needs of the class. These sessions acquaint students with resources and services available through the Learning Resource Center. Students will be able to locate and evaluate research based resources to complete his or her research project and assignment. Hands on or lecture based sessions are available.
Please contact the office of the Director of the Learning Resource Center to schedule a session at 252-536-7237or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please request an appointment seven (7) days in advance to allow for scheduling and preparation.
General library orientation sessions are conducted as part of the ACA classes. It is the goal of the Library Orientation session to ensure that students will be able to utilize, evaluate, and locate all resources and services available through the LRC. Students are asked to complete seek and find assignments at the conclusion of the session.
The Library Orientation sessions cover four class periods:
- Class one: Students are administered a Pre-test to gauge the level of library knowledge.
- Class two: General tour of the library.
- Class three: HCC LRC Amazing Race
- Class four: Students are administered a Post-test to gauge the level of library knowledge after completing library tour and HCC LRC Amazing Race.
Click here to view Youtube video